Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does subsituting an e-cigarette count?

I go back to work tonight and I decided to try a different kind of e-cigarette (the last one that I had caught on fire) for the drive there and back. This is where I smoke the most. My drive is an hour long each way so I thought this would be the best place to start. We can't smoke at work, so that's not even an issue. If I can do this is should put me above my goal for the week. Is this cheating?

Using an electronic cigarette isn't the same as lighting dried tobacco leaves on fire and inhaling the smoke, so I guess I don't understand the question.

If you consider using nicotine gum or the patch cheating, then yes, using an e-cig as your nicotine delivery method would be cheating....because it's the same thing.

Comment

Well, a e-cig cuts out many of the toxins already in regular cigarettes. There are some people that use e-cigs to quit smoking regular cigs. Therefore, I don't know if substituting is a good idea as you can become dependent on these.

Comment

I would say that it definitely counts. There are a lot of people that have used e-cigs as a way for them to be able to quit smoking. Yes, you are still getting nicotine from it, but you get nicotine from the gum, lozenges or the patch. Therefore, I believe that an e-cig is just as much a tool to quit smoking as everything else that I've mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by dorannmwin View Post
          I would say that it definitely counts. There are a lot of people that have used e-cigs as a way for them to be able to quit smoking. Yes, you are still getting nicotine from it, but you get nicotine from the gum, lozenges or the patch. Therefore, I believe that an e-cig is just as much a tool to quit smoking as everything else that I've mentioned.
          Totally agree. E-cigs are the same thing as the gum or the patch. They only make the transition easier by mimicking real cigarettes and smoke. And I think once you are hooked on e-cigs, and stopped smoking real ones altogether, it is much easier to cut back on the nicotine too. Buy e-liquid with less nicotine concentrations, and maybe one day you will be able to buy some that has no nicotine at all.

Comment

It's 'cheating' if your intention is to quit nicotine. It's not cheating if your intention is to get as far away from cigarettes as possible. It could, however, become problematic if you find that you replaced one habit with another. The intention of things like the patch and gum is to ween yourself off of smoking/nicotine.
            Last edited by JoanMcWench; 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I don't think it really counts. What you're doing is only quitting one habit and get addicted to a different one. If you are planning to quit real cigarettes and switch to smoking e-cigs exclusively then it definitely doesn't count as quitting.

Comment

An e-cigarette is still a cigarette. There is no point in saying you have quit smoking yet you have e-cigarettes in your pockets. Commit your self to quitting completely because that is only complimenting and excusing your addiction.

Comment

Working...
                X